One of our core values of Church at the Grove is “Intentional Simplicity”. We desire to keep the MESSAGE and the METHODS simple in our pursuit of leading people to follow Jesus and Make Disciples.
Keeping the Message Simple:
We emphasize that God’s plan was to eliminate unnecessary religious components and make it simple to connect with God. In order to accomplish this we attempt to remove any and all religious “hoops” that churches can tend to force people through to connect with God through a personal relationship with Jesus. By religious “hoops” I mean things like dress, worship styles, liturgy (all liturgy is not bad), terminology, or connecting certain disciplines or religious activity to your acceptance with God. Please don’t get me wrong, we do teach doctrine and we encourage spiritual disciplines as a means to grow spiritually.
Read this: Acts 15:19
The NIV states “we should not make it difficult for the Gentiles who are turning to God.”
We are constantly evaluating how we communicate the gospel to our church and our community. Our desire is to “lead” people and not emotionally coerce people into a growing relationship with Jesus.
Keeping the Methods Simple:
We realize that we live in a culture that is more and more demanding on an individual’s and family’s time. We believe that we (Church at the Grove) can accomplish more by doing less. I learned in a seminary class that the most committed people in a typical church will potentially spend 14 hours per week on the campus of their church keeping the operations going for that local body. If they are spending that much time on keeping the church going, there is very little time left to invest in people outside the walls of the church! Our desire is to simplify the methodology of our church for the purpose of freeing up time for people to invest in the mission of the church.
We do three things at Church at the Grove to accomplish our mission of leading people to follow Jesus and Make Disciples:
- We create environments where people can explore faith in Jesus at their own pace.
- We encourage relationships through Community Groups where people can connect in meaningful and discipling friendships.
- We start discussions that lead to sharing the hope found in Jesus by serving our neighbors and our community.
Things we will not do or require to keep it simple:
- We will not start a Christian school.
- We will not launch a sports league.
- We will not require men to be circumcised.
- We will not ask or force people to serve in multiple areas to be a Small Group leader.
- We will not ask people to spend all their free time doing work to keep the church going.
What we do ask people to do to keep it simple:
- We ask people to simplify their lives for the purpose of having margin for God’s mission.
- We ask people to utilize their children’s sports and other extracurricular activities as a way to invest in people for the purpose of sharing Jesus and inviting them to The Grove.
- We ask people to connect in a community group.
- We ask people to serve on a Sunday Serve team regularly.
- We ask people to look for opportunities to start conversations that lead to sharing the hope that is found in Jesus.
- We ask people to do these things in their normal circle of influence.
How do you keep the message and the methods simple in your life?