Sometimes you just can’t explain what God is doing but you just absolutely sense He is at work! This describes what I am experiencing right now in my life and the life of Church at the Grove.
I am so thankful for God’s redemptive work in my life. He has restored His Image within me. I was lost but now I am found! I was broken but now I am whole!
Yesterday at Church at the Grove was week #3 of our “SEVEN” series. We are taking a look at 7 of the foundational beliefs for those of us that follow Jesus. Yesterday’s foundational belief was “Man and Sin”
Here are some foundational principles that help us understand how we got here and why we are here. These principles come from Doctrine, a book written by Mark Driscoll and Gerry Breshears.
- We were created by the Trinity.
Theologically live in relationship with God.
Psychologically live in relationship with self.
Socially live with others in community.
Environmentally live in relationship with all God gave us dominion over.
- We were created as persons by a personal God. God created us by his hands and breathed life into us.
- God originally made mankind without sin. Gen 1:31 “very good”
- God Blesses us. A good God gives grace to us.
- Unlike animals made according to own kind—we are made in image of God We are distinct and superior to all other created things.
- God gives command to us because he made us as moral image bearers. We can know right and wrong. WE can respond with moral obedience out of love.
- God made us curious adventurers and we explore because of it. Telescope to microscope
- God created us to be creative and invited us to make culture.
- God created us to be reproductive and have children. Longing to be parents.
- God made us with meaningful work to do.
- God created us as His image bearers not for his benefit but for ours.
- God created us to live “Coram Deo” to live before the face of God. Presence of God, under authority of God, by Word of God, to the glory of God.
When sin entered the world through Adam and Eve, our ability to reflect God’s glory was BROKEN!
God restored to us His image to be reflected in Christ through salvation. We are newly created, made alive to reflect God’s glory again!
See Ephesians 2:1-10
Man’s greatest need is not be be better at doing good but rather to be made alive!
John Stott: “The essence of sin is man substituting himself for God, while the essence of salvation is God substituting himself for man.”
Encouragement to me:
Mickey drove all the way to Starkville, MS on Saturday to watch the Georgia Bulldawgs play against Mississippi State on Saturday night. He drove all the way back Saturday night to return home after 3:00am in the morning. Now the truth: He was planning to stay overnight and drive back on Sunday morning. He was so frustrated with UGA that he left the game early to drive back during the night.
He still could have slept in with the excuse that he drove all night to return home. NO! He got up and came to worship at CATGrove!
THAT ENCOURAGED ME! Thanks Mickey! “by the way: UGA has the best band in the SEC!”
Keep praying! Keep Investing! Keep Inviting!
See you Sunday!