I am somewhat amazed on one hand but not entirely surprised on the other by the recent frenzy over the discovery-now-hoax of the Bigfoot Creature. How is it that something this ridiculous has made it into the mainstream media and garnered such attention? Check out this article in the Atlanta Journal Constitution. I did not know that bigfoot was such a HUGE deal, but I have discovered that many people (such as this) have devoted their entire life to Bigfoot.
Here are a few thoughts on these recent BIGFOOT events:
- People desperately want to believe in something transcendent. They are willing to put their trust in something as ridiculous as this bigfoot hoax.
- People are searching for something beyond themselves to devote their life to.
- People are completely and ridiculously gullible. This explains why televangelists and religious personalities are able to build such followings.
- As a pastor/teacher of the Bible, we need to lead our people to discern between truth and sensational hoaxes.
- Although I do believe there is much yet to be discovered in our universe concerning things of a transcendent nature, all of true life is found in the person of Jesus and God’s Word. God’s written Word and His living Word (Jesus) must be our filter through which we discern between reality and hoax.
- We must look for opportunities like Bigfoot and other examples we find in culture to bridge the gap between people’s desire for the transcendent and the reality of life found in a personal relationship with Jesus.