This past Sunday we concluded our incredible series “It’s Personal”. Check out our final video story from Craig Calhoun.
I have seen the movie “The Dark Knight” and I thought it was awesome! It was a great movie. It was even better that I saw it on an IMAX screen! Aside from being a great movie, I have been thinking about what SO CONNECTED with our culture to make it one of the biggest blockbusters in a long time and in history. What is it about “The Dark Knight” that caused so many people to see and many to see it multiple times? Here is Part 1 of 2 parts that offer some of my thoughts to these questions:
- People are fascinated with “Life after Death”. You might ask, “What does this movie have to do with life after death?” With Heath Ledger’sdeath months before the movie came out, I believe that people became fascinated with the phenomena of Ledger’s “resurrection” so to speak. In a surreal way, his life continued in and through the “Joker” character in “The Dark Knight”. The excellence with which he played his role contributed to the sensationalism.
- Hero worship is significant in our post-modern culture. People are fascinated with heroes and specifically with Super Heroes. People love getting caught up in fantasy. Do a google search on comic books and comic book culture. People are fanatics about Super Heroes and fantasy. People love following dynamic people and dynamic leaders.
Part 2 coming in the next day or two……
Yesterday morning was one of the best Sundays we have had in a while:
- I love coming into the fall season! Our attendance continues to bump back up! It felt like fall this past weekend with the temperatures down.
- I love it when people turn their lives over to Jesus. We had several respond to Jesus yesterday!
- Is it just my opinion or does it seem to you that Tonya Calhoun is the best thing that ever happened to Craig Calhoun?
- We were slammed in our children’s areas! WOW! I love it.
- We are going BACK to two services on September 7 at 9:30am and 11am. I hope we have seen the last time in one service! Go out and invite your neighbors to join us for September!
- The Olympics are OVER, I can now get some sleep!
- The DAWGS open their season this Saturday! Woof! Woof!
- I am so thankful for all our volunteers that make things happen on Sundays! THANK YOU!
- I am so proud of Nathan and Katelyn and the ministry they have with our teenagers. They will be doing Middle School Community Group 6pm – 7pm starting this Wednesday at our Church at the Grove office and then they will have the High School Community Group at 7:30-8:30pm. That is awesome that we need to do that. Be praying for them.
- I am in Norman Park, GA right now for a Police Chaplain certification. Yeah, I didn’t know where Norman Park was either. There is not much to it. It is right outside Tifton. It is some good training that I am looking forward to applying to my Chaplain ministry with the Loganville Police officers. Those guys have a tough job.
- Alright, I don’t have any TV here. I am going to bed early.